Friday, November 25, 2011

2011 Thanksgiving Turkey Trot!

This is my third year running a 5k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. They're sort of my tradition now. The Turkey Trot is a special race for me because it was to be my very first 'official' race two years ago. When I first started running I decided to pick a graduation race and had registered for a Turkey Trot in June of that year. Telling myself that six months was enough time to prepare myself to 'race'. Who knew that I would end up running three 5k's before that first Turkey Trot ever took place? Let's just say I am now hooked! Overall it was a great race! Though those hills were a killer! I remembered them from last year and I was not looking forward to them at all(have I mentioned, I don't like hills?). This year though, I figured I was in perfect shape to tackle the hills and finish the race strong. At this point in my runs there are NO walk breaks before three miles and if it's only 3 miles(5K)no walk breaks...period! Cut to the last hill and a walk break was definitely in order. Although it was a very brief break to recover from the hill, it was a break nonetheless. I finished the race in 32.41. I looked up my time from last year and surprise, surprise I finished the 2010 Turkey Trot in 32.41. Figured if I hadn't taken that walk break, I could've finished in 32.00. Lol!! Great race, lots of fun and I like starting Thanksgiving day off in the negative, calorie wise.

I did not overindulge this year. I didn't have seconds nor did I take leftovers. I actually decided today was the day to start journaling and tracking my food intake. I figured if I can get through today keeping track then, I can get through the rest of this holiday season. I'm going to try my hardest not to take all 10 of these pounds into the new year!!!

I hope you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! I'm now off to bed. I have an early morning spin class.

The Good:
1. Negative Calories before Thanksgiving feast

The Bad:
1. Needing a walk break during a 5k race

The Ugly:
1. I hate hills!

Some Trot for Hunger 2009, 1st race I ever registered to run


crossing the finish line at today's Turkey Trot, I am smoking that woman with the stroller! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment