Saturday, October 22, 2011

Hyattsville Volunteer Department 5 Mile Run

Start/Finish Line
This morning I ran the HVFD 5 mile hill run and it was tough! It was in my neighborhood and I knew when I registered what I was signing up for. Hills, hills and more hills! I've ran those hills before during some of my runs and I'll admit oftentimes I would avoid certain streets like the plague when it's too hilly. Well, today I did not have that option. There is a course and you follow the course...period! Boy oh boy was I wishing I could've mapped out my own 5 mile route back to the finish line but, I digress. I had one and only one strategy going in. Run every single hill and, I did. Okay all but one, I guess that's technically not every single but, you can't blame me for trying, right? :-) There was some walking but, I walked the flat parts and stuck to my plan to run every single almost all the hills. We ran right past my building which was right after hill number 3 and two miles in (a brief flash of my bed entered my head).  It was a nice little crowd. This was their second annual race and, I'm sure in time it will get bigger and better. They gave out pretty nice schwag bags which was great. You got an actual bag with lots of goodies and a technical tee. Not bad for a small 5 mile race. I'd do it again next year for sure! Seeing as how it was right in my neighborhood, I decided I'd run the 1.65 miles back home.

6.65 miles done!
So all in all, I ran 6.65 miles. My mom dropped me off and, I got to see her twice along the course and according to her, she thought she saw me three times (she mistook someone else for me). LOL! After the race, I called to tell her I was done. She goes, you sure you don't want me to pick you up? Nah, I was side-lined this week because of the plantar fasciitis. I desperately wanted/needed to get more miles in and running back home made me feel like Dean Karnazes on a much smaller level of course. This man runs to a marathon then, runs the marathon so you see, I was feeling a little Deanish this morning. Lol!

So now, I'm going back to bed. I have two English papers and lots of Algebra homework due by Sunday midnight. You know you need  a life when the highlight of your weekend is running hills during a 5 mile race (it's a lot more fun than ALGEBRA)!

The Good:
1. Finished!
2. Ran 1.65 miles more
3. Supporting my local volunteer Fire Dept.

The Bad:
1. The first hill that was 3 minutes into the run!
2. I look huge in my photo. Must. Get. Back. To. Counting. Points!

The Ugly:
1. Every hill that followed the first one! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Great job on getting up those hills! My old neighborhood was flat as a pancake - the first time I ran in our new neighborhood, I couldn't believe how hard the hills were!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hills are killer but, I think they make us better runners! :-)

    ReplyDelete