Saturday, September 10, 2011

Back under 200lbs! - 10 mile run!

When I first lost the weight, my biggest milestone was getting under 200lbs. Yes, there was the 25lb milestone, the 50lb milestone and even the 75lb milestone but nothing and I mean nothing brought me as much joy as seeing the scale read 1..! I don't think I was as happy reaching my goal weight than I was when the scale no longer read 200. So, stepping on the scale this morning I said something I'd said the very first time I saw 199 during my weight loss journey. I will never again get over two hundred pounds. Well let's hope so because since around June 2010 I have hit the 200+ mark a few times and have uttered those words each and every time I've done so. I hope this is the very last time I have to uttered those words for I am sick of going up and down on this twenty pound roller coaster. For now I will celebrate this milestone and, that I'm closer to my goal weight. :-)

 Last Long Run
Today was my last long run before my half marathon next Sunday. Most of the ladies in my group are running the Park Half Marathon in Bethesda, MD Sunday, September 11th so most of them did their last long run last weekend however, there were a few who had planned to meet this morning I being one of them. I just could not get out of bed to save my life. I was tired and the last thing I wanted to do was run 8 miles. I did eventually realize that I needed to get that last long run in (like at 2 pm). I begrudgingly got dressed and headed out to make that happen. First, I charged my iPod. I haven't run with music in months somehow it felt like one of those days when I was going to need it and, I was not wrong. It wasn't a good run. In fact it was more of a walk/run not to be confused with a run/walk. It was hot! I got dehydrated and felt like I was running on empty. It took me 1 hour and 50 minutes to reach the 8 mile mark. Last week it took me 1 hour and 35 minutes to reach the 8 mile mark so you see, I was struggling a bit. In the end, I completed 10 miles. More than I had originally set out to do. I kept asking myself, am I ready for next week and, I kept coming up with NO for an answer. I have struggled this summer training for my half. There was the knee injury and the excessive heat and humidity. Not to be outdone by the extra 20lbs I'm carrying around and not fueling my body properly. There use to be a time when I could push myself and just keep going and going and going. Somewhere along the way, I've lost that ability. I think it's time to reevaluate. However, I too have accomplished a new goal. I'm now capable of running every single hill without stopping. You see before, there wasn't a hill I wouldn't walk up. My motto was...why run a hill when you can walk it? Lol! But, I'm officially a 'hill runner'. Yay!!  I got sick and yes, this is becoming a 'theme'. I don't know what's going on with my body but after a run, now I'm dehydrated, sick to my stomach and lightheaded. Again, it's time to reevaluate. I would like to get back to running where I'm enjoying myself and it's hard(running is never easy for me) but not difficult. No matter what, I WILL cross the finish line on Sunday September 18th at the Rock & Roll Half Marathon! I may not set a PR but I'll accomplish what I always set out to do when I run, whether it's an official organized race or a causal 3 mile run through my neighborhood.....finish!

"The miracle isn’t that I finished; it’s that I had the courage to start." 
John Bingham, The Penquin



The Good:
1. I finished!
2. Ran 2 miles more than I had planned

The Bad:
1. Took a lot longer than it should have
2. Hot ass hell! Middle of the day running(during the summer)...a NO NO!

The Ugly:
1. Getting sick, yet again at the end of the run

1 comment:

  1. Yay for finishing and getting back under 200! I have been hovering up and down the last few weeks also, also hitting that 200 mark once or twice, but today I am back down again. Not for both of us to stay that way! Good luck on your race!

    ReplyDelete