Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Track/Speed Work

Icing my knees
There is nothing worse than being mentally capable of working out but not physically capable. This is what I'm going through. It's like my body is fighting me. When I think about it, I'm asking a lot of my body. I went from sitting on my ass (literally) to walking, to taking aerobic classes, to running a 5K and from there right into a half marathon. Let me break it down. I went from walking/running 0 miles to walking/running 13.1 miles in under nine months. So yeah, I'm definitely asking a lot of my body! Today was speed work at the track. The weather was perfect for a 4 mile run. It started off rough but, by the end I had found my stride. I'll admit it's difficult watching people in my group get better while I struggle with injury after injury. I have what I like to call 'runners envy'. I've made myself a promise. If I can just get through this half marathon. I'll work hard to get my legs and knees strong but, we'll see how that goes. I've made this promise before. I think it may have been my last half marathon. Hmm?

It's important to take care of your body. I'm really bad about stretching before and after a run, warming up and resting when I've been ordered to do so by my doctor but, if you're mindful of these things you could more than likely avoid injuries. In other words. Don't do what I do! :-)

"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement."
- Steve Prefontaine


"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."
-Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder

5 comments:

  1. By the looks of those ice packs on your knees..exercise is dangerous but I am willing ot try.. my knees already hurt from all this extra weight so exercising is an option. I will let you know how I feel once I have walked for 30 minutes for three days.
    Keep doing what you do ice packs and all.. by the way you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stop laughing at you! Exercise can be dangerous so always check with your doctor before starting any new activity. Anon you just be ready to go walking, you're not getting out of it that easy. Nice try though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. working out looks painful lol
    Trevell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracey took my out on a little walk yesterday...oh my.. the pain the pain but I think I will give it another try... overall the pain is not so bad but it is there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon(Keata), you did great!! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete